Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

A poor man's town.

Discussion in 'Banter' started by fearsomegenie, 8 Jul 2012.

1. fearsomegenie

fearsomegenie Active Member

I'm an epic builder. I don't mean that in a "I build crazy awesome things" kinda way, though I am in general proud of what I build. I mean that I like to build things that are epic in scale. The standard large 15x15 plot cannot contain my plans for my home. Krink offered me a place to build an epic residential hall, but I'm starting to scratch my head and wonder if my assigned area will allow the me to build as grandly as my vision of the building dictates that I must. The long and short is that I've just now realized that I need space. XD

So, I thought that I might run out in the wilderness and claim a chunk of land, and build alone. Then when I am somehow a wealthy pawncrafter, pay the fee and get on town bandwagon. I have a few general questions in relation to this:

1.)How big can a town be? And how small does one usually start? If I paid bottom dollar for a town, how much space should I limit myself to? If my buildings spill out of the official town area will I get in trouble?

2.) Hypothetically, lets say that I dash off into the woods and with blocks mark out a chunk of ground, say 200 x 200 blocks or whatever a reasonable town size is. Would I have admin support in preventing unwanted interlopers from building in my stomping grounds despite not having my licence to Mayor?

3.) What other hurdles do I need to be aware of? Are there any crippling set backs to my plans as stated?

2. Axelmotley

Axelmotley The Dementor Staff Member

Towns do not have a limit in size. As you get more members you can make your town bigger. You don't even have to buy towny to own a town. Yes, if you claim an area you will have our support.
    I don't see any problems, except the collection of hard to get supplies.

StarScore likes this.
  3. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

Genie, I'm a bit disgruntled that no one told you about my lawless town. You're more than welcome to go to my /home and find a free spot to build whatever you like. There is a free melon farm for all your food needs, some fun bridges, a park, and a courthouse. I'm currently working on a church and a subway on the northern end of the islands.
    If you can't find any spot big enough, ask me when I'm online, though that probably won't be happening reliably until the middle of next week when I'll finally be home.

4. fearsomegenie

Good info Alex. Thanks.

Thanks for the offer Amber, but it's too late for that now. I'm no longer dreaming in an epic building but in hundreds of blocks of epic buildings. Maybe if my eyes stop being too large for my stomach, I'll take you up on that. But maybe at that point I'll be ready to build in the 'small' [leaves to count the Epica plot] 19x51xUnlimitedHeight area so generously allocated by Krink. Egads, am I really that space greedy? Honestly it's a little ungrateful of me to be posting this before asking Crink if he could think of a bigger area. Sorry MC. I still love you.

At any rate, thanks and you all rock.

5. Axelmotley

Alex...?

6. Morganathon

Morganathon He Who Likes Trains

Alex Motley. Didn't you hear about how Pawned changed your forum name? Silly you.

7. fearsomegenie

Don't judge me. I get dyslecix. XD

8. Morganathon

Morganathon He Who Likes Trains

Lol, no problems. It was but a typo :p

9. Vork Moin

Vork Moin Addicted

I used to read Axel as Alex too. :p

10. Axelmotley

Why you see Alex QQ?

11. SlugBoyTom

SlugBoyTom Slimy, yet satisfying Staff Member

Okay, a little more info here. When you claim towny it claims the 16x16 chunk you're standing in at the time as the town home. You are given a further 7 chunks of the same size to claim where you want, as long as they're connected to the original chunk. Whilst the town costs 25k, each new chunk will cost you 25 Pawn.

You are only given 8 chunks to claim because of the small number of residents, aka 1. The more residents you have in your town the more chunks you can claim, at a rate of 8 chunks per resident. You can also ask an admin to grant you extra chunks, though these cost rather a lot.

Trespassers will be shot! Unless they're a part of your towny, people cannot build within towny limits. Well, of course admins still can, as can people in the same nation, but you're pretty much safe there.

The only setbacks I see are the costs involved, the materials needed and the competition. Towns are always clashing in contest for customers, so if you want a spry young builder to come help you out then you're going to have to fight for him.

fearsomegenie likes this.
  12. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

Lysdexia.

fearsomegenie likes this.