Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner Kit

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cameron Canet, 2 Jun 2012.

?

Do you think a beginner's kit would be useful?

Poll closed 9 Jun 2012.
  1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
  1. Cameron Canet

Cameron Canet Member

From seeing all the new people coming in and not knowing all that much what to do and not many staying. I would like to suggest that you guys offer a beginner's kit offered only once though at the beginning when you first sign up. I think the Kit should be equipped with 1 wooden pic-ax, 1 wooden ax, 1 wooden shovel, 3 pieces of bread, and 1 wooden sword. I think this would benefit both the Pawncraft community and the begginer's by having more people stay and an easy start for them as well.

Yankeesfan1218

2. Bankercat3

Bankercat3 Master Banker

It's a nice idea, but all of that can be acquired in the space of about 3 minutes and the bread would go fast anyway.
    I think if we were to give out such low items, they'd prefer just accomplishing it themselves. Also, each new player starts out with 1000 pawn, enough to buy more wooden tools than you'd know what to do with.

3. Axelmotley

Axelmotley The Dementor Staff Member

I have stone tools in my shop available for 1 pawn each :)

4. Cameron Canet

Cameron Canet Member

just a suggestion i've seen it used on other servers and it worked pretty good.

5. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

The problem is, beginners do not know about all of that. How are they supposed to know where Axelmotley's shop is? Or even if 1 Pawn for each of those is a good deal?

This, however, I agree with. Wooden items, really? At least make it Stone. You get Steel on most servers.

Superdood and Portrend like this.
  6. crinkle

crinkle Still very much bizness. VIP RAINBRO

In the upcoming release there are books with like about 50 pages writable in them. One of these could be given to a player when first joining to read up on stuff. Could contain command references, interesting locations, how to get around, even the /rules and "idiot test".

Giving people free stuff will only encourage them to ask for more free stuff once theirs is gone.

7. Pawned

Pawned Founder Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

They do know all of that if they actually read this post like they're supposed to.

the_amber_trap likes this.
  8. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

The neoliberalism is strong in this one. However, giving out free Steel tools works for most servers, it seems.

9. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

I was going to say exactly this. In addition, there are plenty of other ways for new members to find assistance.

I think that the 1000 Pawn we start with is generous, and it allows our initiates to tailor their starting package however they like. If they'd rather buy building materials over weapons, that is an option. If they need to buy food, that's possible as well.

10. Krigekongen

Krigekongen Build Team Member VIP

It should be either or, Give them 1k pawn, or give them a starter kit. From my perspective a starter kit isn't really help you that much as it gives you like a 1-2 min headstart.

11. Bankercat3

Bankercat3 Master Banker

That's the equivalent of going to a super market and them saying "You can have 100 eggs or 300 dollars to pick from our selection". All that would do is lock your choices in, and most people would choose to pick from a variety, rather than have a set amount of a certain item. I think the 1000 pawn system is fine the way it is atm.

12. Vork Moin

Vork Moin Addicted

How about a crude shelter under the spawn for them to stay in their first couple nights? XD

Superdood and Cameron Canet like this.
  13. the_amber_trap

They're more than welcome to come to my town, build a wooden box, and fret while zombies moan outside.

Vork Moin likes this.
  14. Vork Moin

Vork Moin Addicted

When I've just started out, I collect as many items as possible (everything, even flowers) and bury myself once night comes. Then I overuse chat until it's day.

Learned that trick on a server I tried before finding Pawncraft. XD

Superdood likes this.
  15. Cameron Canet

Cameron Canet Member

The starter kit isn't as much as a helper though as an insentive for playing pawncraft, for instance a player who is given something he knows what to do with right and then, think "hmmm... this is nice some tools and stuff to start out with i think ill stay and see what this place is about". Where as some people without this might not want to get into the pawncraft community. Also not saying its bad but pawn in the beginning are a bit confusing for the new player he/she doesn't know exactly what to do with it but with something more physical you give them its not confusing its more ok i've go this lets check out what this server has to offer. In the end I think we should do this to try to keep the players not turn them away.

16. the_amber_trap

The points you make are addressed in the "I just joined" thread. If they don't read the thread and can't be bothered to learn the commands or plugins, I'm honestly not very inclined to offer even more material assistance.
    Besides, money is nearly universal and isn't hard to comprehend. Buy what you need, try to sell what you don't.

17. Tootitbootit

Tootitbootit The flying Dutchman! RAINBRO

I don't see whats the fun in starter packages anyway.

It's a survival server, why dont you try to survive your first few minutes? It's only 1, maybe 2, trees that need to be chopped down and you're able to make some wooden tools.
    And giving iron tools away is just a stupid idea. Completely ruins the fun of the first start thing! :)

jkerr and the_amber_trap like this.
  18. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

My fatherland, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, taught me to refuse this concept of money that you speak of. You brought shame to your family by spreading this imperialist propaganda. May Kim Jong-un enlighten you and spread happiness throughout the world.

the_amber_trap likes this.
  19. the_amber_trap

Even in communist countries, there was currency and people constantly trying to get more of it through whatever means possible. In fact, there was a thriving black market in Soviet Russia.