Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

Game "Star Forge"

Discussion in 'Banter' started by Soren025, 31 May 2012.

1. Soren025

Soren025 Active Member

I stumbled on this game in its early stages. Still a lot that needs to be done with it but this game I think is going in the right direction.

2. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

Automobiles? AUTOMOBILES! I could make racetracks!

It's an interesting take on the Minecraft formula, but the "realistic" physics were a bit laughable. I'm always a little nervous about a game with features like that. It's quite ambitious, and I hope they pull it off. It could be a fun alternative to Minecraft.

Also, whoever did their game's logo needs to be fired. That thing is horrible.

3. Pawned

Pawned Founder Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

They were actually pretty realistic for the most part (apart from the part where he was standing in a tree xD). They just lacked animations, which is understandable since this appears to be in alpha stages. Once they fix the staticness of the model by either implementing ragdoll properties when it's been hit, I believe it'll look pretty realistic.

4. the_amber_trap

Ragdoll physics (which they appear to be using) have always bothered me though, mainly because they aren't remotely realistic.
    Also, there was a point where the body was cartwheeling through the air and was hit in the legs with one of those rapidly spinning devices. Instead of reacting appropriately, the player just bounced up a little.
    I'm not saying I won't try it, because the variety of devices and the different gameplay that will open intrigues me to no end. I'm just cautious about the physics, especially because they will definitely affect the driving mechanics.

Additionally, based on the limited info I can gather at the games website, it seems that the game will be heavily funded by microtransactions. While I don't presume to suggest that they don't deserve to profit from their work, and I do admit that being able to tailor the game to how you want to play is refreshing, I cringe when I see what they've set up for stores on their site. There are no less than five different "stores" and one more for "hatch points," whatever they are. I assume the different stores are to better organize the variety of options available, but even so, they have sandbox items, devices, skins, heroes, and mutations. I can only imagine that if I want to create a track and race with friends that I'll have to buy vehicles and possibly skins for different terrain. How will that affect online gameplay? If I haven't bought a car, can I not drive one that someone else has dropped in? The heroes also have different skills, so I hope you can at least choose which one you like best when you get the game, though I doubt it if they keep the free to play mechanic in place.

5. the_amber_trap

Pardon the double post, but I didn't want to make a massive wall of text, and this was an afterthought anyway.

Back to the physics: the first couple of examples were pretty hilarious. In one he basically trips and somersaults a laughably distance through the air, and then the next he bounces from one wall to the next in a narrow hallway.

I also really hope this doesn't have the typical problems of most 3D shooters, where you get hung up on doorways and the like.

6. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

The physics as far as I can tell appear to be pretty realistic. Given the velocity of the spinning hammer and whatever gravity they've defined for the planet I believe the model moved correctly. They just really need to stick some animations in there to make it more fluid though - the constant walking or just plain idle animations that are played when these events are happening do make the system look very clunky and unrealistic. Needless to say though, for a free to play game, this does look like a lot of fun. This, Planetside 2 and Raiderz are on my F2P watch-list.

7. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

Nice. Will have to try that out.

Nice. Will have to try that out.

Grindy. Definitly not going to try that out.

8. the_amber_trap

I hadn't heard of Raiderz, and I can see why it might be intriguing, but I don't think it's my cup of tea. The combat would be interesting if it didn't seem to focus so much on melee (though there is a lone ranged class, but even that has a melee option) just to get you grabbed and bitten as much as possible. It does look a little grindy, but that doesn't really bother me much. Maybe they're keeping other classes secret for now. I'll keep an eye on it to see what new stuff gets released.
    I'm also a little embarrassed for them regarding the typo in the game's title.

Planetside 2 is definitely something I'm anticipating.

9. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

They have stated that they are developing new classes for post-release on the forum. Speculations suggest they're working on an assassin (DPS) type class as well as an archer style class.

10. the_amber_trap

That sounds rather promising.

11. the_amber_trap

Okay, back to StarForge:

I'm super annoyed at their storefront. It's only been working sporadically and I haven't even been able to finish registering an account so I can download the damn game. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I hope this is not indicative of the caliber of the game, and if it is not, they really need to do something about that site.

12. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

Well, it is a game made by just 2 people without any money to fund the project - I can't imagine they can afford proper hosting, so their downtime will be fixed in the future when they've started earning money and can thus afford hosting via a cloud infrastructure.

13. Soren025

Soren025 Active Member

http://www.fileplay.net/channels/minecraft/misc/15632/starforge-first-playable-release

amber get it from this place that's ware I got it

14. the_amber_trap

Pawned, I hope so.
    Soren, thanks, I'll check that out.

15. Soren025

Soren025 Active Member

This is what i got out of skiping around this video (didn't watch the whole thing)

my thoughts on what he said gave me the impression of the structured team pvp of the game to be kinda like a first person shooter version of starcraft with mine craft structure and terrain manipulation with DoTA player progression and RPG elements.

Im liking it.

16. the_amber_trap