Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

If a server crashes in a forest, does it make a sound?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fearsomegenie, 21 Aug 2012.

1. fearsomegenie

fearsomegenie Active Member

So, this evening ProSpect was doing some work on the trade center and said, "I'm gonna have to bring in some big crap guys. Server might go down. No admins were on line and there was a paranoid debate about whether or not the server can start itself back up automatically after a crash. I've got the impression that it's setup to start back up on its own. Others believe that it requires a manual restart or some sort of Admin intervention and were scared that they wouldn't be able to play all night.

Could we get a little bit of clarification for pointing paranoid/overconfident (pick one) people at in the future.

2. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

It should start on its own.

3. Jonamal

Jonamal Member

That is not what happened last time Soren and I... Nevermind.

4. the_amber_trap

5. Pawned

Pawned Founder Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Due to now being run on a ramdisk, crashing the server could cause you to lose up to an hours work (data dumps to hard drive every hour). It will not automatically start up again.

6. fearsomegenie

fearsomegenie Active Member

So, is bringing in a large chunk of blocks something to be concerned about? Can it crash the server or will it just make everybody lag out while blocks are loaded?

7. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

Depends on the size, really. If it's extremely large then it can crash the server, however if not then it'll just lag and kick people out. The server can't handle as large worldedits as it could before because rather than having 30GB allocated to the server, we have 5GB allocated to the server and 30GB keeps it (and Pekkit) in RAM 24/7 to allow for the smoothest gameplay.

8. the_amber_trap

Crap, what happened to change that? Back when we had the console, wouldn't the server restart automatically in a crash?

9. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

Well, the built-in console for the new OS doesn't support automatic restarts :p - restarting the server has to be done manually. Now before you ask why we don't use McMyAdmin again, there's a couple problems with it. 1: It's a wrapper for the server - meaning it can cause slight slowdown and 2: It doesn't have RAMDISK (if you don't know what that is, it is essentially turning RAM into a hard drive - but of course RAM is volatile, so it needs to be dumped to hard drive to keep the data safe) support, meaning that if the server crashed, it'd probably end up starting new worlds without any plugins.

While the new "console" (It's a built-in web-based Minecraft server control panel of the new OS we're using for the Minecraft server) doesn't have some of the fancy features of McMyAdmin, such as automatic restarts every # hours, or automatic restarts after crashing, it does provide us with a much faster server setup. There is an update for the OS coming out sometime in the near future, which makes the control panel look more sexy, however I do not know if it adds any more functionality. If it doesn't, then I'll make some feature requests.

For now, this setup works. You just need to be more careful about your World Editing :D.

10. jkerr

jkerr Builder, hermit VIP RAINBRO Ancient

I was wondering about the copies that were done for ppl - I know that WE will let you copy as big a region you'd like, so large pastes may cause problems, and you won't know how big it is when you paste it unless you remember copying and that it was big... I'm thinking there'll be a lot of crossing of fingers when pasting!

11. Miralynn

Miralynn Kitten with Claws VIP RAINBRO

Soo if the server crashes ..say... at 3 AM. Is there a functionality that will dunk either you or Star in a bucket with ice water to restart the server?

slawitb0y likes this.
  12. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

Shouldn't be issues with large pastes from schematics - might be best to wait until the worldrender is finished though, as to allow for more CPU power.

13. Axelmotley

Axelmotley The Dementor Staff Member

I want the old console back..

the_amber_trap likes this.