Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

I'm doing something about it

Discussion in 'Banter' started by the_amber_trap, 23 Apr 2012.

1. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

One huge thing that I miss about this server is the sense of the entire community enjoying the server together. Clans and towny are a huge part of what I feel has broken us apart. Any time you create artificial differences like town borders or organizational elitism, you provide the opportunity for exclusion.

I'm doing something about it.
    As some of you know, I am building a courthouse/clocktower on an island that just so happens to not be as far off in the middle of nowhere as I thought it was. I have every intention of turning this into a town. I was going to invite a select few friends to help build, but I realized that I would just be contributing to the continued fractioning of our talented and personable members.
    I will soon be done my semester and I should have plenty of time to build and build and build. I intend to make a thriving city complete with a subway/elevated public transportation system, parks, a public pool, museums, public artworks, a public storehouse, a public farm, and any other buildings we can think of.

I want help. I need help with this. There's no way I'll get to all of it before my next semester ends (though it should be an easier set of classes, so I hopefully won't be MIA so much.)
    Absolutely anyone and everyone is invited to join me. I will be adding new land every time I'm in so that I can make this into something we can all brag about in order to draw more and more people to our lovely town. I don't care if you're a Mage, 1337, 7331, staff, donor, or a reprobate with multiple bans. Come and build. I'm not charging for plots, and I don't care if you have a house anywhere else. I don't care how big you build your house. I would ask that you do it with a modicum of attention to aesthetics, but I recognize that not everyone is artistically inclined.

I do expect people to help each other out in this endeavor. We're a community, and I want to rediscover that sense. I had it again briefly in Undisturbia. I want it back.

I will be on sporadically for the next couple of weeks as I finish my classes. When I'm on, feel free to ask for a ride to where I'm building. When I'm not, feel free to post in here to ask me for some more land so you can build. Absolutely everything is open for building, but please be careful of building too close to other constructions. You can't possibly have any idea where people are planning to go.

The next time I'm on, I'll be making my current /home public until I get around to placing a portal so everyone can come and visit regardless of if they want to build or not. Be warned, griefing anything will be dealt with swiftly. I will also not tolerate using my /home for any PvP activities.

Leave your petty squabbles and clan rivalries at your other homes and come build something with me.

tl;dr - Screw your towns and clans, I'm building in the wilderness. Come help me regardless of who you are. It's free!

EDIT:
    My /home is public, so anyone who is interested is welcome to visit and find a spot to build. There is a bulletin board there that has a short blurb I would ask everyone to observe, but there aren't any real restrictions on where you build. Just try to stay far enough from my courthouse as I'm not done it yet.

Vork Moin, Sushimitzu and jkerr like this.
  2. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

Oh, joy! Portieboy can build!

Portrend likes this.
  3. jkerr

jkerr Builder, hermit VIP RAINBRO Ancient

I can help with land creation if you need a hand! Also, I can taxi people to your spot if you'd like :)

4. the_amber_trap

Jkerr, if you want to help, I would appreciate it very much. The extensive terraforming I'm doing takes forever.
    I'm going to be moving my home and creating a sort of welcome center for the town, but until then, you can feel free to just drop people outside the courthouse.

5. jkerr

Want help terraforming? What do you want to do with the chopped off exposed stone bits that came from the paste?

6. Axelmotley

Axelmotley The Dementor Staff Member

I'll gladly assist you ;) As long as you build me my dark creepy castle kthanks! :D

7. the_amber_trap

Thanks, Jkerr. I'd like them to look more natural. I like both of the tall portions on the corners that were pasted in, and I've been trying to add terrain around them to bring them in more. //smooth has been my friend for a lot of this. I cheat a lot with small spheres of stone and then build up sand above them. I then //replacenear the sand into grass. I just realized that I am going to have to put in a forest soon, because no one will have any build materials at all if they show up now.

Axel, you're more than welcome to join in with the fun.

My home is now public, so everyone is free to come join in. There isn't much room, so be courteous, and keep fighting and bickering out of it. That includes PvP. Duels are okay, so long as you both agree. I guess that means we'll have to build an arena of some kind.

8. jkerr

Cool, I wanna try out the //overlay command, sounds useful for terraforming:
    Here's a world edit cheat sheet I just printed:
    http://cloud.github.com/downloads/sk89q/worldedit/worldedit_ref_rev6.pdf

9. the_amber_trap

I have a cheat sheet too. I do like the //overlay command, I keep forgetting about it.

10. jkerr

Got a start on some more land, forested it with redwood. Also fixed one of the 'chopped off' bits with some terraforming.

11. the_amber_trap

I've dropped birch trees everywhere and made quite a bit of land the last time I was in. I've tried to make the coastline interesting instead of just a boring curve or line. I've put in a little isthmus and several inlets or coves. They're small scale, but it makes for some engaging terrain.

Thanks so much for your help.

12. jkerr

Hopefully it wasn't the night before last and you didn't do a lot because there was a rollback yesterday morning (north american times)...

13. the_amber_trap

SHIT I THINK IT WAS!

14. SlugBoyTom

SlugBoyTom Slimy, yet satisfying Staff Member

Everything is still logged, don't worry. If you've lost anything just /lb redo area whatever since that date :)

15. jkerr

Well, I tried to do that for a player last night and he got some but not all of what he did... Plus, pretty sure world edit stuff isn't logged in LB... Skinback was on ALL DAY building that day... he wasn't impressed :)

16. the_amber_trap

Yeah, world edit stuff isn't included with logblock. I might be able to log in later on. I'm pretty ill at the moment.

17. MissVera

MissVera Builder VIP RAINBRO

Is the little bit of land ya made me still free n clear? I'm taking a tinnnny game break to clear up personal crap, but I'll be back in game relatively soon :D I already know what I want to make too. Maybe I'll plot it out a little in my free time.

18. the_amber_trap

The only thing being built out there is still just my courthouse at the moment, so there's plenty of room. No one seems to want to play with me.

19. Vork Moin

Vork Moin Addicted

Just read this thread, (Amber is now best admin ;) ) I'm so gonna do this next time I'm on, so sorry Bread, but the Archaic's city can wait a little longer for this.

20. MissVera

MissVera Builder VIP RAINBRO

Just save me the land you already made me. And I may need more. And I may need help xD Oh bother. I guess I need to start planning.