Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting video - Harassment

Discussion in 'Banter' started by jkerr, 25 Apr 2012.

1. jkerr

jkerr Builder, hermit VIP RAINBRO Ancient

2. MissVera

MissVera Builder VIP RAINBRO

You know. I don't know whether to high-five you, or tell you to gb2kitchen.

My standpoint is... If the woman is so fragile that she going to be offended by a little heckling, then its time to gtfo off the interwebs. I know plenty of other women gamers, and they've all been dumped on. Repeatedly. But it doesn't stop them from enjoying themselves. To me, it's a form of banter. It's for whiny boys that cant stand being pwnt by a chick. Not my problem. It's not going to stop me from using my mic on cs:s, or any other game. You deflect the bullshit or join in. It's the easiest way to curb it. TROLOLOLLOL, IM ON MY LAPTOP AND IN THE KITCHEN ALREADY, UMAD? It's actually gotten me to the point of conversation, and even friendship with the "trolls" and cretins. Which I've also found out, that the trolls end up being awesome people IRL, they're just retarded in game.

Automute isn't going to stop ridiculous behavior. It just wont. Parents being parents, and people getting along, will curb it. And that's it. When trolling isn't effective, it's dropped, and the person acts like a normal human being. You don't change anything by writing microsoft, but you do, by countering the troll, and treating them better than they've treated you. You change it, by not being such a puss. If somebody walked up to me and called me a slut, I certainly wouldn't stand there and stick my fingers in my ears, and I certainly wouldn't change who I was, what I enjoyed doing, or cry myself to sleep over it. I'd figure out what the persons problem was, or slap the piss out of them. Same thing applies online.

TL;DR- Who cares? Since when does someone else's shitty opinion actually effect who you are or what you do? Women. Get the sand out of your vagina's, get back in game (preferably on your laptop, from the kitchen, after making me a sandwich?), and kick some ass. Love you jeff, but we've never needed a white knight ;) (Sig says it all)

Portrend likes this.
  3. jkerr

Hehe - cool, just thought it was an interesting take and worth watching :)

4. MissVera

But its ssoooo long. lol. Felt like I was going to die halfway through. So much rage and QQ. Reminds me of something, if i can find it.

Cant find the one I was looking for. But it was a combination of these. I hate it when google lets me down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

I am a big fan of people being less overly-sensitive. I frequently mock my friends, including people here, and they all have thick enough skin to take a joke. I do not, however, make fun of people for things beyond their control (unless they're prepubescent boys who need to be mocked for trying to be tough guys.)
    On the other hand, the blatantly hateful chat that I've heard is typically excessive, and I'd love an auto mute function just to shut up the brats who decide they're just going to make random noises and be as obnoxious as possible. If it has the added bonus of limiting the negative fallout on some of the young women (who typically have good reason to be a little more sensitive, but that's another matter entirely) so that our community is more welcoming, I'm all for it. After all, I'll always need more people to deride.

6. MissVera

Just, when they're older, right? :p

7. Bankercat3

Bankercat3 Master Banker

Dude stfu ur lucky i dont have ur address or ud get messed up. i bet u cant even lift 150

MissVera and Sushimitzu like this.
  8. the_amber_trap

See? You guys get me.

9. jkerr

I think it's great you have a thick skin and have learned to thrive in the "online gaming" environment, but that doesn't mean that it can't be a hostile place and that it couldn't be improved. It's great if words don't hurt you, but as you know, for most people, they can and do. Watching the video I didn't so much think of our server, since you come back with the same name, etc, I thought more of the shooters where you pop in and you may never see these same gamers again. This is the environment that could use some of these ideas, where people are completely anonymous and can spout out whatever garbage they want without repercussion. I like the idea of 'earning' voice chat in this kind of environment. Anyway, thought it was an interesting video to at least get ya thinkin :)

10. the_amber_trap

I agree with you on the fact that this sort of problem seems especially prevalent in shooters. However, that's not to say that there aren't significant problems with this throughout the gaming community. In fact, I think it's not just in the gaming community, but socially.

Honestly, I think both sides of the argument are correct. People really are overly sensitive and take offense at any opportunity. There are a lot of caustic assholes out there though, taking full advantage of that fact. The inherent anonymity of the internet (and console games) means that people don't have to worry about the consequences of their actions and so they feel they can get away with this sort of behavior. Injecting some sort of punishment, even something that seems as innocuous as an auto-mute, will provide at least some fallout for acting like a jackass.

11. MissVera

You already know I play css. You've hopped in game with me :p I don't avoid servers based on hateful people. I don't even avoid hateful people. But I also realize a lot of people (not just women), don't have as thick skin as I do. I think I make more pms/there-are-no-women-on-the-internet/im-fat-n-lonely/gb2kitchen jokes than most of the actual caustic people. It takes away their fun when the subject matter beats them to the point.

I WILL, however, be perfectly honest. When I first started playing counterstrike, (1.6, derp, 8 years ago) I got...overwhelmed, constantly. I was new to online gaming, esp in an FPS. So this constant barrage of "Whore, women aren't on the internet, make me a sandwich, I bet your fat and hideous, skank, slut" etc etc etc, really got to me. I client side muted. I admin'd a server for a year, so there was plenty of kicks, mutes, and bans. But after awhile, I just stopped caring, and joined right on in. When you're sitting at cpl/wsvg, chillin in the BYOC section, and you're one of 30 women, in a room full hundreds of men, it really puts shit into perspective. But you also get to see how small the percentage of trolls vs awesome gamers is.

Best idea on that video, is people earning the right to speak. Im all for that one. I dont think people would crap on that right, nearly as much.

12. the_amber_trap

You and me both seem like the kind that can laugh off insults, but there are a lot of people out there, especially younger ones, that have no idea how to behave socially or how to deal with the stream of insults from their peers.

I'd be perfectly okay with people earning the right to speak as well. It's not as if anyone actually uses chat to send out information about the movements of the other team.

13. Krigekongen

Krigekongen Build Team Member VIP

This reminds me earlier in the Pawncraft history when people cried out for being called something bad and posted a trillion of ban requests on everybody. I only dish out "harassment" to people that I know, though sometimes just douchebags. I can take a lot of harassment without caring, and I think that is one of the reasons I'm so "mean". But I don't mean any harm in my words it's just for entertainment and anyone who think otherwise, is a fcking rtrd and shud dye in a hoal, fcking gon shut ju wif my ak84 and drife over oceen to kil yuuu!

14. the_amber_trap

I think you meant AK-74.

Oh wait, that's part of the joke, isn't it?

15. Krigekongen

You god-forsaken noob Amber.. Do you really think Boomboom knows the correct name for the AK, and I think it's ak-47, ak-74 is a more crappier model I believe.

16. the_amber_trap

I guess I thought you meant 74 instead of 47 because you probably only know about weapons from playing Call of Duty. The AK-74 is the SMG that every one uses in COD because it's way better than it should be. The AK-4747 is the assault rifle that is renowned for it's durability and reliability, though it isn't as accurate as the American counterpart, the M-16. I just presumed you would have at least put the "4" in the correct spot if you were talking about a weapon since you obviously really have one and aren't just a prepubescent twelve-year-old trying to be tough.

MissVera likes this.
  17. MissVera

Gawd Amburh. Look at the picture! The ginger's a revolutionary. Of course he has an AK. :rolleyes:

*message sent from kitchen while making sandwiches* (turkey, if you're curious)

18. Krigekongen

Oh I fucking love CoD. It's really the best game in the world! It has taught me so much informations about guns and stuff! And of course I have one, I'm a tough guy y'know?

19. Pawned

Pawned Founder Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

CoD taught me how to ricochet knives off of walls and into people's faces.

20. Krigekongen

It also taught me that you can shoot a crossbow with explosive shot into the middle of nothing and get many kills.

the_amber_trap and MissVera like this.