Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

internet browsing trouble.

Discussion in 'Support' started by crinkle, 1 Aug 2012.

1. crinkle

crinkle Still very much bizness. VIP RAINBRO

Hi there,

I have a problem with my internet and I dont know how to solve it. I cant even google the issue because google is part of the problem. A small number of websites (pawncraft included thank god), will load and display no problem, the rest just get "connection reset while the page was loading". This includes google, youtube and any website i try more or less. It applies to both firefox and internet shitsplorer.

Can anyone help or offer any advice on things to try to correct this? please dont post any links, i probably wont be able to open them.

2. fearsomegenie

fearsomegenie Active Member

[Edit: corrected word usage, as per below, I did this one for me so my eyes would stop bleeding.]
    Try using a different browser. If say, you're using Chrome test it on Firefox or internet explorer. If the problem is isolated to one browser then clear the cache. If that doesn't work then uninstall and re install the browser.

If the problem persists through multiple browsers, then it's either a problem with your service provider or your computer (maybe your firewall?). If you can, bring in a different computer to test the connection and see if it gets the same errors. That'd at least narrow it down. You might just call your service provider anyway and see if they know anything about it.

That's all I've got off the top of my head. I'll do a quick Google search and post again if I see anything useful.

3. StarScore

StarScore Owner Staff Member

If you have more computers at home or try wifi on the phone, if all have the same problem then the problem could be DNS information from your provider. you could try this then
    • go to start meny open RUN type cmd then " ping ping.sunet.se " if you get request timeout, try "ping 192.36.125.18" if you get a respons now but not before, then you have a DNS problem.
    • Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers
    Call your provider and they will probably take you through similar tests.

fearsomegenie likes this.
  4. fearsomegenie

[Edit: changed cash(a word for money) to cache(a word denoting a hidden trove of... web page data?) - I did it for pawned, so his eyes would stop bleeding.]

A quick search suggests that this problem can be caused by:

ISP problems, anti-virus/firewall problems, out of date browsers, out of date add-ons, and incorrect browser settings.

So yeah, first check to see if it's your browser. If other browsers work then try some of these things:
    • clear the cache and delete your cookies
    • run updates on the browser and your add-ons
    • disable all of your add ons - if that works, then enable them one at a time to see which one breaks the browser
    • if all else fails, uninstall the browser completely and re install it
    If other browsers don't work (some of these seem like grasping in the dark, but hey why not):
    • if you feel in over your head call your ISP - they're used to dealing with this kind of thing. It might even be something that they screwed up.
    • if you use windows, then try using safe mode - if that works then some of your software may be interfering - have you installed anything new lately?
    • disable your antivirus and firewall to see if one of them is the culprit
    • run a virus scan just for kicks
    • turn your router off give it 2 min, and turn it back on
    • reset your router to factory settings
    • here's an interesting tidbit from a firefox help page - this would be something to talk to your ISP about: " Your Domain Name System (DNS) server translates web addresses (URLs) into IP addresses and is usually provided by your ISP. If the DNS server is overloaded, you may be unable to view some or all websites. For example, if http://74.125.53.99 or http://74.125.159.105 work but http://www.google.com doesn't, you may have a DNS problem. You can use an alternative service such as OpenDNS or Google Public DNS."
    • do a system restore if you're super desperate
    • put your fist through the monitor and upload footage of it to Youtube from the local library
    I hope something in here is helpful to you. Good luck man.

5. Pawned

Pawned Founder Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Sorry, but, this is really bugging me, so I have to point it out. It's cache, not cash.

StarScore and fearsomegenie like this.
  6. fearsomegenie

Right, like mountain man beaver cache. Curse you homonyms!

7. Miralynn

Miralynn Kitten with Claws VIP RAINBRO

I love it when a man knows what he's talking about.

StarScore likes this.