Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

Phone games?

Discussion in 'Banter' started by the_amber_trap, 4 Mar 2012.

1. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

Wait, I need to explain something first. If you don't care about the story, just skip to the end for the tl;dr.

Okay, so, for a long, long time, I didn't have a cell phone. I'd had one ages ago (back when Nokia was the premier manufacturer; the screens were tiny, black and greenish and non-touch; and they didn't have many games at all - snake was about it) but I didn't use it much, so I shut it off. Then, while in the Navy, I didn't really want to be able to be harassed non-stop by my clueless supervisors or called in on my day off, so I made a conscious choice to get by without one.
    When I got out and went back to school, I decided I still didn't really need a phone. After all, if anyone wanted to call me, they could reach me at home. Otherwise, I was out or doing something else. If the wife needed me, she could call whomever I was with because they would invariably have a cell phone.
    I've since realized that I can't be taken seriously as a professional without one, and that it is a hassle when the wife can't reach me because I'm working alone on campus or driving to wherever for a photo shoot. I caved in. However, I'm way more concerned with any time-wasters you guys have found. I figured that I may as well enjoy the damn thing since it cost me so damn much.
    No, it isn't an iPhone. I am sensible and am using a nifty droid that is thinner and has a bigger, brighter screen.

So, I want to know what apps I absolutely must have. Tell me, tell me, tell me.

tl;dr - I haven't had a cell phone for a long, long time and just got one. I want to waste my time with it, so tell me what apps to get.

Oh, and free is best, of course.

2. Pawned

Pawned Founder Staff Member

Steam, Skype, GTA 3 (Sorry, this isn't free :p), AndroIRC, Google Chrome (If your phone has the latest version of Android, doesn't work with anything before Ice Cream Sandwich), Dungeon Defenders (Amazing game, can't believe it's free on Android, almost as good as the PC version which you have to pay for!), Ninja Go, Stupid Ninjas, Ninjump, Stupid zombies, Ceramic Destroyer, SketchBook Mobile Express, Glow Hockey2, WhatsApp (Pretty nifty IM that works on all mobile platforms) and if you want to get away from the default homescreen/theme I'd suggest ADW Launcher. The rest of the things I have to suggest are all paid for... Age of Zombies, Cut the Rope, AirAttack HD, Fruit Ninja (Might be a free version of this, actually), Peggle, Plants Vs Zombies (Peggle and PvZ might not be available on your phone, they weren't on mine, had to get them from a third party source), ShadowGun, World of Goo and Osmos HD.

Portrend likes this.
  3. Vork Moin

Vork Moin Addicted

Is it weird that I only use my phone to make calls?

4. Bankercat3

Bankercat3 Master Banker

I don't have an android, so I couldn't really recommend anything. But I'm pretty sure androids have some form of a "jailbreak" that allows you to use emulators on your phone. I like playing snes games a lot more than the apps available to me, so if it's an easy process for you, it might be worth checking out.

5. Pawned

That form of jailbreak being "The Open Source OS that the phone comes with".

the_amber_trap and jkerr like this.
  6. Bankercat3

Bankercat3 Master Banker

Really? That's what I love about androids, there's so much more available to the user.

7. the_amber_trap

Awesome! I knew I could count on you, Pawned. I'll let you know what I think about them as I try them out.

8. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

My god. Pawned, you shouldn't recommend Amber good and addicting games. He'll never work again.

9. Krigekongen

Krigekongen Build Team Member VIP

5 weeks later: the_amber_trap "Oh shit guys, I might be offline for a while now, I've lost my job and spent all my money on my phone. Cya when I've gotten cash for new internets and my mobile phone has been destroyed at Mount Doom"

Portrend and tunesnatcher like this.
  10. the_amber_trap

Nah, I don't have a real job. I might flunk some classes though. That won't matter, will it?

11. Krigekongen

Krigekongen Build Team Member VIP

Don't ruin my story...

Portrend likes this.
  12. Tootitbootit

Tootitbootit The flying Dutchman! RAINBRO

Doesnt jailbreaking means getting the payed apps for free? ;D

13. Pawned

No. It means opening up the Operating System. But either way, Android gets apps for free anyway >.>..

Portrend and Tootitbootit like this.
  14. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

Yes. Using a jailbreaked iPhone/iPad, one can download an app which enables downloading each and every app for free.

15. the_amber_trap

Okay, so my impressions of some of the games I've been told to download:

Ninja go - I don't know why, but that damn ninja doesn't even come close to behaving the way I'd expect. He goes left when I swear I hit the right and visa versa. I won't be playing that any more.

Glow Hockey 2 - Despite easy actually being pretty hard (probably because my finger makes it difficult to see my own goal) I enjoyed it. I probably won't play it much, and I can't imagine two people trying to play on one phone (can you do it with two phones/tablets?) but it's certainly a colorful diversion.

Ceramic Destroyer - Well, the ads are placed in the exact wrong spot for me because I keep accidentally hitting them when I'm trying to split bombs or drop clusters, but aside from that how could I not have fun blowing shit up?

Stupid Zombies/Ninjas - I actually wish I hadn't started with Stupid Ninjas because the gameplay in Zombies feels much more basic when compared to Ninjas. They're both fun and engaging little puzzles, but I'll probably play with the little ninjas rather than the zombies.

Dungeon Defenders doesn't want to work for some reason.

Ninjump - Quite fun, but it gets dull rather quickly.

I haven't messed around with too much else, simply because of time. I also found Tiny Tower which is pretty fun, if basic, and not full of ads ore stuff you have to buy with real money in order to enjoy the game. In fact, you can get the in-game currency pretty easily just by playing, which I really like. The same company made Pocket Frogs which is an OCD nightmare. It's a breeding/collect-a-thon game and is surprisingly fun, but maybe only because I actually am obsessive-compulsive.

16. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

Also get iCopter.

17. Bankercat3

Bankercat3 Master Banker

Don't forget about sonic cd! Haven't played the port, but the game is fantastic.