Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

Plugin request / Idea - Auctions!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Tootitbootit, 10 Aug 2012.

?

Would it be a good addition to have an auction system?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Tootitbootit

Tootitbootit The flying Dutchman! RAINBRO

Hey all,

I've played here for about 1 1/2 years now, and 'back in the day' we used to have a plugin that made auctions!! available.

You could auction a diamond, and then others who were online could bid, and after ie. 2 minutes the highest bidder would win the auction!
    I believe it got removed, and I also know there were known issues with inventorys being full, but that might be able to be resolved?

I still think it's a great plugin! Tell me what you think by voting in the Poll above!

Thanks for reading!

2. TheRowan

TheRowan Well-Known Member VIP

The auction system was one of the things i enjoyed most as a new player. Although it doesn't encourage player interaction, i would say the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

3. Pawned

Pawned Founder Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

The main issues with the auction plugin we used to use were that people could stack unstackable items as well as lose their money and not gain items if their inventory was full whilst winning the auction. Not to mention the chat spam.

4. TheRowan

TheRowan Well-Known Member VIP

Would it be possible to type a command and not see auction chat. As for the instances of losing money, as long as people were kept informed it might not be a problem.

5. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

Nope. Unless we developed the Auction plugin ourselves, there's no way to stop you from seeing Auction messages, without completely stopping you from seeing messages from the console, which would basically not allow you to see text from any plugin or IRC.

6. Tootitbootit

Is there no way of solving these issues? I do believe that, with auctions, we could create a better economy. As for the chat spam : toggle it on or off?

I've also seen this 'WebAuction' thing that uses a website to auction ingame stuff?
    Heres a link : http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/webauction/

(I believe its outdated, though..)

7. Morganathon

Morganathon He Who Likes Trains

MOST unstackables are now stackable. Apples, bread, etc. And it would probably be possible to set up a seperate chat room for this. But what about the current system of shops? This would more or less eliminate the shop district.

8. Tootitbootit

9. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

Outdated and inactive. Says that in a big red box right at the top of the page.

Yes, they're stackable, but only to 16 or so. This would allow them to be stacked to 64 (assuming the auction plugins haven't resolved this issue). No, there are no such things as chat rooms in Minecraft (If there were, the Auction plugin would still have to take advantage of these rooms in order to let you stop it from sending messages to you), only emulated rooms via our chat system, which has nothing to do with any Auction plugin. The only way chat spam can be stopped it if we develop our own Auction plugin.

Yes, the shops we have currently will be abandoned. No one will use them.

10. Tootitbootit

Not really, Morgan,

because when you do need something and it may not get auctioned anytime soon you might still want to buy it via the shops ;)

11. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

The WebAuction replaces the shops, and does not function at all similar to the previous Auction plugin. It forces players to purchase items from other players through the web interface.

EDIT: I have found an Auction plugin that solves the chat spam issue - will test to see if it solves the other issues.

Portrend likes this.
  12. Tootitbootit

and we can't develop that? ;p

Cool =D If you need any hlp testing, or something, i'd like to help? :)

<Merged by Pawned>

13. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

Auctions will be implemented in 1.3.

Portrend and TheRowan like this.
  14. Tootitbootit

Thanks for the quick action, Pawned! :)

(Le me wants to know what that 'Merged by Pawned' means, le me google translates! :$)

15. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

It means your double post was merged into a single post by a man named Pawned.

16. Tootitbootit

I found that out at this point, I'm sorry for my stupidios. You can still bully me with this, then! :(

I HAS SAMSUNG GALAXY S3, IT'S BETTER THEN YOURS! 0o - Just kidding! =]

17. SlugBoyTom

SlugBoyTom Slimy, yet satisfying Staff Member

Hmm, it might be a good idea (If possible) to have a toggle on the auction system that only admins had access to. That way they could turn it on when they were online and off before they went, so every auction made would be under the watchful eye of an admin.

18. Pawned

Top Poster Of Month

Auctions will be logged. If anyone reports any unlawful auctions I can easily check the logs.

SlugBoyTom likes this.
  19. Miralynn

Miralynn Kitten with Claws VIP RAINBRO

Unlawful? D= Where is the law? Arent we lawless scum on here?

20. Axelmotley

Axelmotley The Dementor Staff Member

^ Such a quick decision without listening to the other players, considering that the vote is now 50/50. Half the people who have voted disliked this. So why put it in?

I can already see a few flaws with this idea.
    1. It will inform me every time a player bids.
    2. It will (by me and loki's guesses) cause the market to be sell only.
    3. It will discourage players from interacting with each other.
    4. More work for Staff Members. Not only do we have to watch chats, slam a ban hammer on griefers/rule breakers, and run community events. But we also have to watch this "auction chat"? Where are the guidelines for the auction? How are we supposed to know what is "unlawful"
    5. What about players that are a little inactive? Just because they are not on a week may mean that they fall behind other players money-wise. Whereas a shop can make you money even when offline.

I understand that this was a good idea (back in the day.) But perhaps we can do something that will please both sides of this argument. Like for instance; the people who want to auction can, and the people who enjoyed Trading and maintaining shops in the TC will be able to do so.

** This will also discourage me from trading considering that I have to maintain it on an hourly basis versus a weekly basis in order to gain money.