Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

PvP in the New World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diage, 15 Nov 2011.

1. Diage

Diage Active Member

So, I have been helping Soren with his arena recently and I have had some ideas involving potions I thought might be really nice. So I would like to get some feed back in general.

Here is the idea (Of course, keep in mind the arena will support different game types, this is just one.) Centrally located will be some focal point of the map. Here will spawn occasionally an item. Teams must compete to control the most of these. They move to capture the item and put it in their chest. You can steal from the other teams chest.

That's the basic setup, now this is where the "cool" part come in. Before the match begins competitors are stationed in one of two hallways depending on which team they are on. In this hall way they have the choice of one of four rooms which have temporarily locked chests. All contestants pick a room and alert the ref that they are ready. He will then make it so that the rooms are exit only. Also located within these rooms are beds where you can sleep to set your spawn should you die.

Now comes an important question. How do you know which room to choose? Well, above each door is a sign that has written on it one of; Mage, Support, Ranger, or Fighter. Next to the doors gives a brief description of what is special about them. Inside the Mage room, the lock chests will contain a LIMITED number of potions which pertain to direct damage or damage over time spells as well as leather armor. In the Support room you will find a LIMITED number of potions pertaining to direct heals or HoT as well as diamond armor and an iron sword. In the Ranger room you will find a LIMITED number of Bows and Arrows as well a select choice of buff/debuff pots, included are fire resist, speed buff, and slow debuff, they will be given iron armor (possibly leather). Finally, in the Fighter's room you will find a LIMITED number of diamond swords, diamond armor and golden apples.

PvP in the new world is exciting and actually not as quickly finished as it once was. It now takes a long time to kill someone due to regenerating health and the fact that armor now only disappears once the pieces are completely destroyed. Adding the ability to knock people around and critical hits as well as charging of bows and pots makes for some extremely interesting combat. I would like to see something along the lines of either 3 on 3 or 5 on 5. You may select as many of any class as you choose but keep in mind the limited materials. Once you die you forfeit your items to your enemy!

In regards to choices about balance. Bows do considerably less damage so I wanted to give them some incentive. It makes sense to me that they ought to be elementally attuned as well as able to cripple foes or run much faster than others. Mages appear quite weak until you realize that pots do damage despite the armor your wearing. This makes them actually extremely strong. They do more damage faster than any other class. I had to counter this with being frail as one would expect from a mage anyhow. It is also important to note that they have extremely short range. If invisibility exists, I will consider giving it to Mages for defensive reasons. Supports do minimal damage but should be hard to kill. They have the ability to push a team through challenges that otherwise would be difficult to push through. I actually fear some possible imbalance here and if need be I'll downgrade them to iron armor. Finally the fighters. After all of this they were designed to have sustainability in fights and have the ability to get right up in your face. I would like to point out that all classes will have food of some sort in their chests and the golden apple of the fighter will be a highly limited item.

A smart mage can quickly kill a warrior. A smart ranger can dispatch a Mage with ease. A nimble warrior can devastate a ranger in no time. These seem to work well. The priest is hard to kill and can change the tides while not doing much himself. He does not fit into this schematic in a similiar way, however once again the limited supplies is important to remember.

I hope this wasn't too long and even more so I hope it sounds fun!

Bread, SupWithThat and Tootitbootit like this.
  2. MrHobbits

MrHobbits The Angry Panda Staff Member

I really like this idea actually. Gives the feel of a more involved game, and a welcome break from the daily mine. I love to build and stuff, but in 1.8 and earlier, PvP was pretty pointless. Not much reason to do it, and wasn't very much fun just whomping on people. (I did however enjoy the PaWN+Mages vs 1337 mini-war we had, that was a fun skirmish!)

With regards to the mages potions though, do you think they are too powerful? And when you say limited number, how limited would it be? I have not played with 1.9 yet so I'm not sure how damaging they are. How many DoTs would it take to kill someone? (Assuming they were all applied perfectly.)

Also, fighters should be given some food as quaffing potions isnt something meat-heads 'do', they chew mutton and eat soup. So do you think they should be given more food? Does food matter? I know it only helps if you're hungry, and full hungry bar means health regen... does the hungry bar go down during a fight?

3. Soren025

Soren025 Active Member

Potions are very powerful, but fairly inaccurate if you are not close (less accurate then the egg by about 3x) and will hurt you if caught in the splash, but if every one of them hits... Potion of harming deals instant damage on contact, don't have exact amount. Potion of poison is the damage over time, it works just like cave spider poison ware it will damage you but it cant deal the killing blow. Potion of weakness will cause the regeneration of health through full food bar to stop as well as reduce damage enemy can deal with weapons. Potions from what I have seen ignore armor (This is VERY powerful as diamond armor IS NEAR GOD MODE now)

I try and use Potion of poison first, wait a while then toss a couple potion of harming. deals quite a bit of damage.

Everyone gets food, as fighting drains food for everyone, and potions don't cure that.

4. MrHobbits

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing and playing this out with you!

P.S. You dig wayyyyy deep into the numbers of Minecraft. My brain melts when I try! LOL! Kudos!

5. Jonamal3

Jonamal3 Builder

Food needs to be something powerful, Golden Apples or steak. When you need food, you need food. I've seen footage of the fights between Diage and Soren, when they were testing it. You could easily go through your food, just getting across half the arena safely, (sprinting, jumping, dodging, etc.) Food isn't too important for healing I would assume though. I messed around with the new potions and the healing ones will take care of all the healing problems. Potions are pretty powerful though, a few direct hits could take you out easy.

6. Diage

Diage Active Member

All classes will have availability to at least some basic food that will refill your food meter. You actually stop regenerating quite quickly without it. Golden apples actually give you a health regen buff, this will give fighters a greater sense of survivability against mages to prevent something like 4 mages bum rushing you. By the way, I would like to emphasize just how long matches can last in this setting. They can take quite some time, easily enough for the partial depletion of your food bar.

In regards to the comment "limited," It will be done in such a way where i feel it sufficiently balances the classes. The numbers aren't immediatly chosen. This is the parameter I will use to effect the overall balance of the game. Keep in mind however, unless you die to lava, everything on you remains in the arena after death. So it is possible to see things like mages pick up diamond armor off of a warrior and wear it. This is, in my mind, a sort of inverted death penalty. More of a bonus for killing than a penalty for death.

My natural inclinations as far as limited supplies would be a relatively high variety of potions with a limited total supply. Lots of arrows, possibly a limited number of bows. Extremely limited golden apples (they are intended to balance out mages but not over power fighters.) As far as armor goes, I might consider either 5 or 6 sets for a 5 on 5. Then if you all choose to go warriors you will suffer heavily for that decision. Further, it would be sufficient I feel for average gameplay. But once again, I haven't been able to do testing so I really am not certain.

7. Tootitbootit

Tootitbootit The flying Dutchman! RAINBRO

Diage, i'd love to help you out testing in a test-arena, with different classes chosen, and using the potions!

just to let you know, im very interested in the new pvp style, in vanilla minecraft, since it has become a total new part of it ;d

btw : sorry about an poor grammar, or whatever. im extremely tired as of right now :)

8. Soren025

Soren025 Active Member

Hop on 1.9 project and come check it out

9. Tootitbootit

Hmm, i lost the information i think.
    and at college right now, lost the pm on the old forums.
    can you like, resend me that jazz? :)

10. Soren025

Soren025 Active Member

All my Pms transferred over for me, have you checked your inbox?

11. TheRowan

TheRowan Well-Known Member VIP

I really like this idea, it would make pvp much more fun than it is atm, will there be a fee to use the areana? will there be like tournaments every month or something with the winners getting money or items?

12. Diage

Diage Active Member

I would love to see monthly tournaments or the like. In regards to fee, it depends on how everything works out. I believe it will be set up so that nothing leaves the tournament area to prevent the items being used from adding to the total supply. If we can guarantee nothing ever leaves and get permission to dupe the items in the chests (hopefully just save chests as templates in world edit.) Then no fee would be required.

13. TheRowan

Ok, i understand, i guess its down to pawned whether your allowed to.

14. Diage

Diage Active Member

Bump for certain reasons........

15. Tootitbootit

I'd love to see tournaments happen, if you contact me i'd also like to help and add something to the pvp-side of the server.

And well, with the new WEB thing for staff members (They can check peoples inventories) its pretty easy to keep everything inside the arenas!

16. MrHobbits

When I am able to, with Diage's help, the arena at my /home is going to be pretty intense. We do plan on having a huge tournament with 4vs4, then 2v2, then 1v1.

17. Diage

Diage Active Member

Although, something was brought to my attention the other day that is pretty petrifying. Apparently beds no longer set your spawn location. Not certain if that is a mod that is doing that or minecraft server intrinsically, but I'll have to think of another way to get people into their rooms.

18. TheRowan

you could ask pawned to set up some portals local to hobbits's areana

19. Diage

Diage Active Member

Hopefully something can be figured out, a lot of work went into designing the re spawn timer and associated control room..

20. Diage

Diage Active Member

Oh and I have a cool system for inventory, but ya, the original idea was once you're in you couldn't get out. Then when the fight would be over, everyone would just be killed and they'd spawn in their respective beds and the switch would be thrown so they cant get into any more items and only their own.