Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: Capture the Flag!

Discussion in 'Events' started by Lord_Aquarius, 17 Aug 2012.

1. Lord_Aquarius

Lord_Aquarius Member

Obviously, I'm suggesting a event called Capture the flag. The point of the game is to take the "flag" from the enemy team, avoiding bloody fighting. There will be 2 teams, perferrably red and blue teams. The flag could be either a 1-hit-break item such as a flower, (Yellow and Red teams then!), or it could be a bit harder, and you would have to break a wool block or something like that. To win, I would suggest either 1 capture in a period of time (10-30 mins?) if you're using a block. With a flower ( or 1-hit block), it's easier to just break, and run, so perhaps the most captures in a time frame. You need to place the "flag" in a pre-set place, perhaps within a block radius of the location of the other flag. I suggest doing this once a week? With prize of some sort?

Maybe we could have something like a mob arena plugin that allows you to pick a class? A swords class (1 stone or iron sword), or bowman (bow with 16-32 arrows?). An idea is to let the players from that team move their "flag" wherever they want, as long as it's in view, which could be done by editing the map. The map would be either built by hand by a build team, downloaded from somewhere, or contributed by the community.

If this gets larger, here's some more ideas:

Mulitple maps, and rotating between them.

"Treasure chests" that have better weapons, or loot to help.

Possibly all items cannot be dropped, even after death, to prevent 1 guy from killing all the others, and getting their "special" loot/weapons/armor. (Except for the flag, or the flag could respawn once it is retrieved?)

"Hardcore" mode with no respawning?

A point system based on captures, kills, assists?

Lastly, it would be better if to join the CTF game, you had to vote in 1 of the 5 sites? Promoting the server at the same time?

-Aqua

2. Miralynn

Miralynn Kitten with Claws VIP RAINBRO

Very interesting, Im curious to know if it's doable.

3. TheRowan

TheRowan Well-Known Member VIP

Okay, idea in my head are, blocks of wool for flags. Standard starting gear for every player, with better stuff in chests. Oh and i also had the idea of a CTF map based entirely on airships, ie jumping from ship to ship. Other than that i agree :D

4. Lord_Aquarius

Lord_Aquarius Member

Thanks for the feedback.

It can most defintely be done. There must be some plugins out there to regenerate maps, and that's about all you need. There are CTF servers out there.

Nice idea. I think they usually play with wool. About the map, very nice idea! But, we need someone to either find or build it ;)

I hope a staff member would see this :D

5. TurtleSandbox

TurtleSandbox Active Member

I'm building a mock up in creative. To get items you can stand on pressure plates and they will be dispensed. Airship idea is goal.

6. TheRowan

remind me of you ign, and if your using my idea, I WANNA HELP!

7. MrHobbits

MrHobbits The Angry Panda Staff Member

Well now, here's an idea that I think could actually go somewhere!

I remember I had built my PvP arena at the base of the Panda Mountain and there were a lot of people who enjoyed using it quite often actually.

So the thought of making a CTF arena has definitely caught my attention. I think I will incorporate this concept into the game somehow. I do remember that Diage had quite an impressive working arena which had 'classes' for each team by using one-way rooms (you started in the hall and entered the 'class' room, which caused iron half blocks to push up and force you to leave to the arena.)

Anyways, I like the idea of colored wool being used as the flag. I also think that the 'moving the flag' concept is worthy of incorporation as well. However to minimize ridiculousness, perhaps a set of 3 possible 'pillars' where the wool *could* be would be a better option. Maybe have a wall that separates the teams (like in The Walls) so that neither team can see the other's decisions to place the wool.

I'm up for trying to make this if anyone else is willing to contribute some concept sketches for map layouts and all that. If I were to just start making a level, it would probably wind up being one from another game (TF, UT2K3, DOOM, Quake) and be as unoriginal as possible. So if you're srsly considering this, gimme some ideas to run with and I'll see what I can do. :)

8. MrHobbits

Oh yes, there will be blood!

Redstone could be used for such a thing, although difficult to prove it's anything other than wool, it could be done

This can also be done via redstone and specific rooms players enter before entering battle

Agreed, although I would sort of already plan to have treasure chests in the levels, possibly near the center. Although, my buddy Diage used an ingenious method of using dispensers, redstone, water and iron bars to create a 'press this button to get a loot that will slowly drop from the location above' reward system.

Without a mod that wont be possible. Even though all players will enter the arena empty handed. As long as the creators dont put retarded loot (diamond swords/armor) it shouldn't be too much of a problem for one person to 'capture' all the loot of fallen badguys.

Possible, just have to figure out a way to make it so people respawn in a particular area. I was thinking of having all participants do /home set at their spawn location, but that could potentially cause issues.

Another consideration would be to have Pawned make a specific PvP world and have him set the /spawn to the arena entrance spot. But that's a lot of extra work on his end and we dont have proof people will even play. For now, there is no risk vs reward.

Again, more redstone by using pressure plates to increment a scoreboard. (Something I dont know how to do, but have seen done.)

This is an amazing idea, however impractical in it's current state as there is no plugin/method which allows the servers to 'call home' once they vote which would trigger the PvP game mode. Also, most sites only allow you to vote once per day, and therefore would only allow a player 5 games max per day, in theory.

9. vigge42

vigge42 twitch.tv/senkaimon VIP

I could help with the design(s) and constuction(s) of the map(s) :)

Shoot me a message :D

10. TheRowan

IWANNAHELPPLEASELETMEHELPPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEILOVEYOUHOBBITS!

MrHobbits likes this.
  11. MrHobbits

I'll be glad to have any help Rowan!

Victhor, what's your in game name? Dont believe I've met you yet! :)

12. vigge42

My ingame name is vigge42, I've been member for about 3 days, so I dont know alot of people YET :)

13. MrHobbits

Cool, welcome to the server then! I'll look for you when I get back online. (I'm in the Navy, and am on deployment, so I dont always have an internet connection that will allow me to play.)

14. Improper

Improper Member

I can't remember a whole bunch about it, but I saw a couple of videos on YouTube where this guy had fully recreated two of the TF2 maps in Minecraft. And they had working classes and such as well. But I don't think it was CTF though..

EDIT: I found the video I saw, it's actually a different guy playing it. But yeah, fully recreated 'Dustbowl'. And they had working classes, and such.

15. MrHobbits

That map is incredible! He said it was vanilla too? Ive never heard of command blocks though. I will have to look that up.

And now I have. Interesting. I think this will make the server very fun if we can get something like this implemented one day.

Also, while this is a great map, I think it's a bit much for what we're going for. I do like the well done layouts, it looked like the map as I remember it (I'm a long time fan of TF2!) I used to make my own levels for TF2 for my own private clan server (Souls in Exile s!x).

Anyways, I'm working on some ideas in SP Creative so we'll have to see how they turn out. If they look good and I like the feeling I'll start work on them in the server. :)

16. Improper

Improper Member

I believe Command Blocks are coming in a new update, I can't actually remember, and I don't play a whole lot of PC Minecraft anyway.

17. SlugBoyTom

SlugBoyTom Slimy, yet satisfying Staff Member

Yep, they'll be in 1.4, which actually comes out tomorrow morning :D
    They're a non craftable item which allows you to put a command in them that is run by the server whenever the block is powered with redstone, which allows things like teleportation to certain coordinates when someone presses a button, automatically skipping night-time (when hooked up to a clock) and a ton of other possibilities like you see in the video. It's mainly geared towards adventure / PvP maps though.

MrHobbits likes this.
  18. MrHobbits

Having been intermittent here, did Pawned address the obvious questions yet regarding the use of these blocks?

19. vigge42

Attention, you can dye leather armor now, wich is awesome, and would be a must in the CTF! :D

20. SlugBoyTom

SlugBoyTom Slimy, yet satisfying Staff Member

Hmm, not that I know, but I assume there'll be some way of stopping it from being placed or just not show up in the creative inventory.