Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

Wal-mart is religious? Who knew.

Discussion in 'Banter' started by MissVera, 12 Mar 2012.

1. MissVera

MissVera Builder VIP RAINBRO

Or maybe they're just cheap. Either way. I was looking around on Wal-Mart's website to buy some speakers, I picked some out, then decided I'd buy one of their extended warranty plans. Figured I'd check out the fine print to make sure if my child destroyed them somehow, I'd be covered. Well. I was reading the section of things that aren't covered, and saw this.

[​IMG]

I wonder exactly what they define as an "act of god" anyway. If you're religious enough, wouldn't everything be an act of god?

I'd like some input on this for sure.

Bread likes this.
  2. MissVera

Found another weird one.

[​IMG]

I mean. I guess if Wal-Mart is shipping to a 3rd world country or some war torn nation, it could make sense. Maybe. But, the company started out and mainly caters to, American clientele. Fuckin lawyers.

3. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

Probably just so if some religious fanatic claims it was an act of god they do not have to pay.

4. Bread

Bread Member

My mom's insurance claimed that it was an "act of god" when a storm blew over a tree on her car. No coverage.
    The way I see it, it is just a cheap way to avoid paying, because who are a bunch of lawyers to decide what god did and didn't do? :/ Religous or not, I think the answer is obvious: A storm totaled my mother's car, not god.

5. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

Wal-mart is pretty much the prime example of what's wrong with our (the U.S.) economy at the moment. I refuse to shop there. They treat all of their employees like complete shit, they've actively blocked certain media from being released because they're morally opposed to it (though they're certainly greedy as hell), and their business practices have put numerous small shops out of business because they simply can't compete with the outsourced workforce and monolithic financial backing Wal-mart brings to bear.

"Act of God" clauses are completely inane, even more so because it's blatant falsehood and I can't comprehend blaming natural disasters on someone's imaginary friend.

Bread likes this.
  6. MissVera

Your utter hatred of Wal-mart reminded me of a shirt I saw years ago. So I went and found it again to share it with you :p

[​IMG]

7. VladTheImposter

VladTheImposter Addicted

Damn it! I guess I should never buy the extended warranty; my dorm is practically a war zone. All sorts of shit gets thrown around here; you wouldn't even believe.

8. Vork Moin

Vork Moin Addicted

What annoys me is that they have the nerve to insult someone's center of belief and source of sanctuary by saying he/she spends their time trolling people by ruining their purchases and then letting the seller get away with it.

Bread likes this.
  9. the_amber_trap

That shirt is so paradoxical that it hurts my brain.

Extended warranties are generally a waste of money anyway.

I hadn't ever considered that before, but it really is accurate. How can the same god responsible for these ruthless acts be the same supposedly benevolent god claimed by many of the churches around the world?

10. VladTheImposter

VladTheImposter Addicted

The only thing I have on extended warranty is my PC; only cuz what I payed for the warranty is is nothing compared to a replacement PC :)

11. MissVera

You just made me realize... I've never actually purchased a computer. When I was a teenager, the one I used was bought by my family. Every computer since then I either built with a friend or boyfriend, or was given to me. Hmm.

Also. I take out warranties on anything electronic over 100. Knowing my luck, If i don't buy it defective, in no time flat, my son will make it defective.

12. Tootitbootit

Tootitbootit The flying Dutchman! RAINBRO

Gotta love your son. I used to demolish everything in the house when I was around 6.

13. the_amber_trap

That's why I'm teaching my kids not to touch anything electronic. I don't know how they manage to have permanently sticky hands, but I got tired of cleaning fingerprints off of everything.

14. MissVera

When Vincent was a toddler, I was stupid enough to buy black appliances and metal and glass tables. I was windexing off fingerprints Daily. Drove me nuts.

15. the_amber_trap

I had the common sense to marry a lady who cleans for me.