Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice
  3. There is trouble with our mail service and we are looking into it. For a backup solution mail will come from pawncraft@pfts.se and no-reply@pfts.se //StarScore
    Dismiss Notice

Wool vs Fur Discussion

Discussion in 'Banter' started by Vork Moin, 8 Jan 2012.

1. Vork Moin

Vork Moin Addicted

Sheep regrow fur? lol. You should put the sheep in water with a room below them and signs holding the water up so that when you shear them the wool falls into the lower room. No sheep will ever escape to see the light of day again!

2. VladTheImposter

VladTheImposter Well-Known Member

*Wool* :oops: Not fur! Well... I guess by the standard definition of fur, wool is fur.

iKickHobbits likes this.
  3. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

Actually, because fur technically has two different types of hair and is not able to be spun into yarn or other textiles, it is not the same thing as wool. Fur has guard hairs (the longer ones that you can see) and ground hairs (shorter hairs that are used for insulation), and though the ground hairs are "wooly" they do not bind well, if at all. The presence of guard hairs makes fur easily distinguishable from wool.

4. jkerr

jkerr Builder, hermit

5. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

I swear I typed that it was not easily spun into textiles, but in re-reading my post, it's obvious that I did not. I actually knew about that service, and did not mean to make such an absolute statement.

In all honesty, the only reason that fur can be spun into any sort of yarn is because of the ground hairs, which are similar to wool hairs anyway. However, wool lacks guard hairs, binds together better, and creates yarn with more air in it (which insulates better.) Honestly, wool's similarity to ground hairs would imply similar evolutionary roots. I can see the similarities, but the two are technically different.