Welcome to Pawncraft!

Want to become a part of our growing community? Sign up Today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. we are running version 1.12
    | Join us at IP: pawncraft.co.uk |
    Dismiss Notice

Your Dreams...

Discussion in 'Banter' started by DigiFox0, 10 Apr 2012.

1. DigiFox0

DigiFox0 Let us start the game Staff Member

Saw this on another forum a while back. What is your dream in life and how will you get there? Could be a dream job or someplace you want to visit. Anything.

Mine is to review games for a living. s'not glamorous but dreams is called dreams for a reason am i right? I'll do it by just writing stuff and sending it places i guess.

I don't have very creative dreams so let's hear yours!

2. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

Equanimity and rationality.

the_amber_trap likes this.
  3. the_amber_trap

the_amber_trap Calm down so I can be the angry one. Staff Member

I'd really like people to stop trying to impose their irrational beliefs on literally everyone. This is especially important in the realms of science and education.
    I don't honestly care what people believe, regardless of how silly it may seem when filtered through rationality, after all, it is everyone's right to freedom of thought and faith. However, hindering knowledge, progress, equality, and peaceful coexistence because of what equates, in my mind, to fairy tales is the height of arrogance and is a grave error.

Failing that, I'd like to teach photography to future losers at a university somewhere.

4. Bankercat3

Bankercat3 Master Banker

Oh, I'm taking photography next year! I'm really looking forward to that.

5. the_amber_trap

Well, in all seriousness, Banker, ask me anything you'd like to know about photography. Actually, I'll make a separate thread so we don't clutter up this one.

6. Sushimitzu

Sushimitzu Enthusiast

Fascists for one would find your goals of equality and peaceful coexistence very ignorant. Even your wish for knowledge and progress is subjective. This means that you have to embrace fallibilism in order to not become one of the ignorant.
    Do not get me wrong, we have very similar goals when it comes society, but you have to keep in mind that assuming you are not one of the people who hinder kownledge and progress is exactly where those people come from. A man's ignorance is the result of not acknowledging the possibility that he might be wrong. Or to put it with the words of Kurt Tucholsky: "Tolerance is the suspicion that the other one is right."
    Moreover, even the biggest bigot and hipocrite will think the same of others the way you do about them, so our denial means nothing, as we might be just as biased as they are. For example, even with all evidence against it, christians still reckon that creationism should be tought as scientific fact in schools. From their point of view we are the ones spreading fairy tales of evolution. But here is the thing: they might be right.

7. the_amber_trap

I am completely willing to accept any evidence that our current scientific understanding is wrong. That's honestly the basis of scientific research; theories have to be falsifiable. We don't test to make sure an idea is true, we actually try to prove it wrong.

I'm also not trying to enforce my beliefs on everyone. I don't honestly care what anyone believes, so long as their beliefs aren't used as a justification for denying civil rights, draconian health practices, or spreading harmful misinformation. Not everyone adheres to the same beliefs, and there is absolutely no reason to suppose that everyone should. Even without differences brought about by culture, climate, or geography, we are all individuals able to reason for ourselves. I just want everyone to be allowed to reach their own conclusions. The scientific community releases the results of research for precisely that reason and also allows (even fosters) the creation of new hypotheses that conflict with currently accepted science.
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't want everyone to believe the same things I do. That's boring.

8. Miralynn

Miralynn Kitten with Claws VIP RAINBRO

I wanna be Snow White.

9. Vork Moin

Vork Moin Addicted

Corn.

Corn...

10. Axelmotley

Axelmotley The Dementor Staff Member

I want to publish my manuscripts and on the side continue my career as a figure skating coach.
    -Pretty damn simple XD

11. the_amber_trap

It's EVERYWHERE.